Thursday, April 15, 2010

Focused Free Write - Am I a writer?

A writer is anyone who has the capacity to express his/herself through the art of language, creativity, and written form. The type of writing I'm talking about does not have to be that which would be evident on a job application, graded essay, or anything being critically analyzed by another person. A writer is someone who jots notes down on paper, someone who stays up till the early morning getting thoughts on paper because the ideas would otherwise steep and boil up in his or her brain.

It is hard to define a writer. I believe everyone has the capacity to write, but there's an enormous stigma attached to the idea of being a writer being that one who writes is a bookworm, philosophical thinker, or an English major. Personally, I am not an English major, nor do I spend all of my time with a pen in my hand. Being a sociology major, I do complete a considerable amount of writing assignments, and do enjoy research writing. I consider myself a writer mostly because writing is a way for me to get my inner thoughts on paper when they are fresh in my mind. It is something I turn to on my own, not because it is forced upon me from outside forces like teachers. For me, it's therapy; the paper's a neutral friend who'll absorb the ink, preserve my thoughts, and help me move on. Writing may not be the therapeutic mode for everyone, but I find it very helpful.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with your analysis of a writer, I believe that anyone who makes meaning can be considered a writer. Unlike you, however, I do not find it therapeutic. While sometimes I do enjoy writing, most of the time it can be more of an annoyance. But, I still do consider myself a writer.

    ReplyDelete