Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Freewrite - "I am not what I am."

3. Viola: Then think you right. I am not what I am. Olivia: I would you were as I would have you be. (III.i.148-149)

In this portion of the text, Olivia and Cesario are in the midst of a little debate about who they truly are. Olivia wishes that Cesario would stay and tell Olivia what he thinks of her. Cesario does not wish to linger and lead on Olivia anymore than he already has because anything beyond what already exists would be asking for trouble. Cesario bluntly says that he thinks that Olivia is denying who she truly is. Olivia gets a bit defensive responding that she thinks Cesario does not know who he is. Cesario puts up no argument because he is truly a woman, Viola. Viola does not know who she truly is or what she is going to do with the coming events so she does not deny the fact that she's confused about who she is. Olivia responds saying that she wishes Cesario was who she wanted him to be. Cesario admits that he wishes he was someone else because right now he is a fool. This is a point of dramatic irony because the audience knows that Cesario truly is a big fool putting on a drag act and fooling Olivia. Olivia has no idea what Cesario's statement truly means at its core. I thought it selfish of Olivia to say that she wishes Cesario was who she wanted him to be. I think that's a lot to demand of someone, especially someone you've just met. I feel as though she should know better because a comment like that could easily scare a man away. Olivia's selfishness in terms of chasing after Cesario is a bit annoying throughout this play.

3 comments:

  1. I'm not saying you're wrong, but I'm just wondering... Is is still considered dramatic irony if one of the characters knows the truth? Because it's just Cesario (Viola) and Olivia in the scene, so does it still count as dramatic irony? obviously Viola knows the truth...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt on this; now that I think about it, I think you're correct. I have been a bit far removed from the different types of irony. It is still quite ironic nonetheless. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I, too, feel that Olivia's request to be who she wants is a little rash. She's pretty much saying "I don't care who you are, just be who I want you to be." Not caring about the past, just wanting the now. I find it a little crazy she doesn't want to know more about who he/she really is.

    I could be thinking all this because I just watched the movie "Stepfather" and it was a little creepy.... nonetheless...

    ReplyDelete